Monday, August 06, 2001

I owe an apology to BA. I was switching my old guestbook to the new Bravenet format and wanted to test it. A hypothetical post was a bit more entertaining than "Testing, testing, 1,2,3." Plus it got a good giggle out of me every time I saw it. I'm sorry for any discomfort it may have caused. Now back to our regulary scheduled stupidity.
I make a concerted effort on this site to keep all arguments based at least somewhat in reality. We live in America. As the NARAL ads remind me, people fought and died for our freedoms. As much as some people would like you to believe otherwise, we are no where close to becoming a Margaret Atwood-type of society.(See "A Handmaids Tale") One of the silliest arguments I've ever encountered regarding legalized abortion came from a woman who I otherwise respect very much. She said, in a hushed almost reverant tone,"The reason I have to support legalized abortion is because if The Government can tell you that you CAN'T have an abortion, that is just one small step away from them telling you that you HAVE to have one." That same logic can be applied like this: If they tell me I can't rape, that's just one small step away from telling me I have to rape. Sounds just as stupid no matter what offense you substitute for abortion, rape, etc.
I heard another one the other day, a woman essentially argued that if I care so much about fetuses and unwanted children, I should do something to help them, and if I don't, I have no right to tell her what she can and can not do with her body. To put that more simply: If I don't take care of her unwanted child, she has the right to kill it. Like it or not, that is the crux of her whole case. The funny thing is, pro-abortionists feel just to call pro-lifers "extremists" and "radicals" and make arcane and ridiculous "Talaban" (sic) references. When unable to make any other valid points, they usually resort to this kind of name-calling and fear-mongering, anything to take the spotlight off of the real issue. My favorite technique I've noticed pro-choicers engage in is taking the role of the Victim. The woman is a Victim of the white male dominated society. Victimology is rampant is society today. It's everywhere. Everyone is a Victim of the white male. Do me a favor. The next time you watch TV, find a white male character (heterosexual) in a sitcom who is depicted not as a bafoon (this eliminates any male character on 'Friends') but as a responsible positive role model, possibly he even goes to church or espouses a strong faith. Good luck. You will not find one. See there, I'M A VICTIM, POOR ME. But I digress.

Back to reality and the real victims. Currently, the 'reason' for 92% of all abortions in the US is listed by the women themselves and reported to Planned Parenthood isn't Victimization by the white male, it's "convenience." Poor Victimized women, 92% got pregnant at the "wrong" time. For 3,680 out of the roughly 4,000 children (true Victims) that are aborted every day in this country, the best excuse the mothers could come up with was, "It was inconvenient."

Yeah, and I'm the extremist. OK. If that's what it takes for you to sleep at night, I guess I'll be the extremist. Sleep tight & sweet dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home