Saturday, April 27, 2002

Regarding the lovely and ever charming Cinnamon's recent comment, I was going to respond there, but I felt it warranted it's own post..........

Spoken like a perfect relativist. Honestly. That is the perfect example of what it's all about. They key sentence? "They're just different." Or relative, if you will. That sentence is followed by 2 perfect ad hominem sentences, making it a personal version of my morals as opposed to any objective standard of morals that society and civilization have agreed to for thousands of years. If I needed a perfect example of relativism to step up to the plate and smack one over the left field wall, Momma, pack that one's bags, cause it aint coming home. See, opinions can be different. Like when I say "Pistachio is the best ice cream flavor." That's an opinion. That's a statement of personal differences. Morals are not subject to persoanl opinion. Society agrees on certain things. For example, it's immoral to put my cigarettes out on my 2 year old's back, or torture women simply for the fun of it. Those behaviors are immoral. Just as it is immoral for Mr. Huff to sleep with some hottie that lives down the street or to discard a human life simply because it is inconvenient. These are morals, not opinions.

I think it comes down to wiring. Somehow, our brains are just wired and programmed differently somewhere along the line. Like a Mac and a PC. The one guy's software just can't work in the other guy's system no matter how hard you try to make it. Which one is right? The PC, of course. It's a superior product. But that's not the point. I'm glad Jerry, AKA John, mentioned that Churchill line in the other comments because I think it's very relevant. I think when people are younger, they tend to want to believe that morals can be defined by personal choice, but as they age and gain a bit more life experience, they tend to grow into a different mindset. Of course, that's a very vague generality, but enough of one that even old Winston agreed with it. Like "teen angst", it also has a name: youthful idealism. Somewhere along the line, most people lose it. I know I did. I was a huge Pro-Choice nut. Once while marching at the Missouri State Capitol, I spit on a mother holding a Pro-Life sign. Got her right in the face with a big phlemy loogy. Then I tried coughing and snorting one up for her sign-holding 5 year-old. Having witnessed my mucus attack on his mom, he deftly defended my snot barrage with his sign. Nimble little fucker tried shooting one back but my then ninja-like reflexes artfully dodged it, like Keanu ("Dude") in The Matrix dodged bullets all super slo-mo with the camera changing angles and what-not. Guess you had to be there. Anyhow, thanks Cinnamon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home